Marriage licenses are handled through the Probate Department in the Clerk’s Office. Marriage License Applications are done by email or the forms can be mailed to the couple. The license fee is $85.50.
APPLICATION BY EMAIL
In order to apply for a Marriage License, please follow the process outlined below.
- First call the Clerk of the District Court office at (785) 251-6362 and inform the Clerk of the desire to apply for a Marriage License. You will need to provide an e-mail address.
- If you are able to print the forms, they will be e-mailed to you via an encrypted process. These forms include:
- Marriage License Cover Sheet
- Marriage License Application
- Worksheet for Marriage License
A brochure with HIV Information is also provided.
- All of the fully completed forms (Cover Sheet, Application, and Worksheet) must then be scanned and returned to the Clerk’s Office by replying to the encrypted email. In order to protect your personal information, please reply to the encrypted email.
- If you are unable to print the forms, you must provide the Clerk with an address and the above forms will be mailed to you. After you complete the forms, you must return them to the Clerk via US Mail or the Court drop-box located in the parking lot south of the Courthouse.
- On the forms, Party A = Groom and Party B = Bride.
- A photocopy of the photo ID of both parties must be sent to the Clerk along to the Clerk along with the above forms.
- Once the completed forms and photo IDs are received, instructions will be e-mailed to you on how to pay the license fee online.
- When the Clerk receives verification of payment and the 3-day waiting period has passed, the Clerk will mail the couple the official Marriage License.
- If an applicant requests waiver of the 3-day waiting period, arrangements will be made for the applicant to appear before a judge via telephone or video conference.
If you have questions call Clerk of the District Court office at (785) 251-6362.
See below for answers to common questions regarding marriage licenses.
A marriage license costs $85.50. The fee must be paid through citepayusa.com.
Not at this time.
- Complete full name including middle names and surnames.
- Dates of Birth
- Your complete address.
- Social Security Number (if any)
- Driver's License or State ID Number (if any)
8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding legal holidays)
These can be obtained from Vital Statistics.
Please refer to KSA 23-2504 for individuals authorized to be officiating persons.